Every which way is Win!!!!!!!!



Tuesday the 12th was D-day, my interview for my Student Nursing Times Award for Outstanding Contribution to Student Affairs took place. I was up bright and early at 4.30am so I could catch the 6am train from Walsall to Birmingham New Street as I was meeting Alison Geeson the Head of Mental Health Nursing at the University of Wolverhampton. It was Alison who nominated me for the award; it was only right that she walk this path with me, so we made the journey to London together.

Alison has been so supportive and encouraging of my endeavours whilst at the University. Including my poetry and establishing Positively Dyslexic Nursing, along with the brilliant Donna Harding (Graduate Teaching Assistant for Nursing at the University) who is my right arm in setting up the dyslexic support group and blog.  

We arrived at Euston just after 9.00am, had coffee then made our way to the tube station. I got into a bit of a muddle thinking I’d lost my tube ticket so bought a replacement at the cost of £13.50 only to find it later!! Doh! my Homer moment. We caught the tube to Old Street which was only 3 stops then it was a 10-minute walk to the Nursing Times Office. 

Making our way inside we were ‘meeted and greeted’ and sat in reception waiting to be called. We were so eager we got up when they called St. Andrews university. Another Doh! Moment! But soon it was our time for real; we made our way in and were introduced to the panel. I asked if I could use some prompt cards, as when I feel overwhelmed, I find it hard to find the words that I want to say; as my thoughts often overload me. They were fine with it and asked me to talk about myself and my journey. 
waiting patiently

"Time To Shine"
I preceded to tell them about my life, my dyslexia and my journey into Nursing. They asked several more questions, but the one that threw me the most was what would winning the award mean to me. I replied that I couldn’t answer, as in my eyes I had already won, just by being nominated, let alone shortlisted!


I left the interview feeling “Ten Feet Tall“ in fact I think over the last few weeks I might have grown several inches in stature as well as confidence. 
Alison Geeson and me


We made our way back to Euston where Alison and I had some lunch before making our way home. I can honestly say that thanks to the education I have received at Wolverhampton University, due of some wonderful tutors who have the ability to create an environment that gets the old brain ticking and because of Alison Geeson seeing in me something I could not, I have achieved the unthinkable or should I say what I used to think was “unachievable” 


“Never allow yourself to only have small dreams, dream big and achieve the unthinkable because if you can dream it you can achieve it “.


Please find some links for dyslexia support  however please contact me if I can help in anyway
Please take a look at this book, it has all essential words in it and fits in your pocket. I have found it so useful and it is available from amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nelson-Essential-Speller-Valarie-Thomas/dp/0174334001







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So you’re going to be a student Nurse

The End is Nigh

Part one of 8 months a Nurse : Into the Blues