A reflection on being shortlisted for and attending the Student Nursing Times Awards 2019


This blog reflects on my being shortlisted for and attending the Student Nursing Times Award 2019 the category I was shortlisted for was for was Outstanding Contribution to Student Affairs.

Nomination process

I first was told that I had been chosen to be nominated for the award by Alison Geeson she had sent me an email asking me to pop in to see her. I must say at first, I did think oh no what’s up? I was taken back and extremely proud just to be nominated and felt immensely proud. For my nomination, Alison had put together a portfolio of my achievements and letters from other staff to support and validate my nomination.

The day Alison contacted me to advise I had been shortlisted for the award I can only describe as a Terrific Thursday; earlier that day I had a interview for a band 5 role on the ward I wanted to work at Bloxwich Hospital, Linden ward and had been notified I had been successful. I was feeling on top of the moon, as I was collecting my bag to make my way home, I realised I had a missed call from Alison. I listened to the voicemail she left asking me to contact her when I could. I did think mmm what for? When I phoned Alison, she said “Andy are you sitting down?” in an excited voice. She couldn’t hold back and shouted “you’ve been shortlisted” I can’t remember my exact words, but it is safe to say I was like a small child on Christmas Eve.

The next few weeks I had several meetings with Alison, a photo shoot on campus and several news feeds were released in the paper, the University web page and my trust web page then there was the interview done London. To read about the interview please click here

One of the things I was so proud to tell the panel about was this blog and my aspirations for it. With the sole aim of creating a community for nursing students with dyslexia; eventually going on to help nurses in practice with dyslexia better cope and manage the stresses and anxiety’s that come with it.

Then there was the wait …



“Suited n Booted” 


Being a poor student… I realised I would need a new suit to attend the awards during my online shopping spree I had emailed Slaters Menswear asking if they gave students a discount on suits. I told them about myself and my shortlisting. I received an email from Susan Rose Head of Marketing at Slater Menswear saying they would like to sponsor my suit for the event I thought Wow… How very kind of them. I was measured and assisted in choosing a suit shirt tie and pocket square. Even if I say it myself, I looked dapper in my new suit.

The Day

The day began with Coffee of course! Before making my way to the University’s Walsall Campus where I met fellow Nominee Rachel Ashworth, representatives for Ian unit as he was in Finland and the other guests of the university.


We got to the Dorchester after having the obligatory photos outside we were greeted with champagne and the day’s programme before find the way to our table. Oh my days what a room the chandeliers were as big as my kitchen and lounge combined the tables were beautifully set there was a live band called Duke they were amazing the food was stunning and mouth-watering. 

I felt dead posh after dinner the awards were given I had been relatively calm resigned to “whatever will be, will be” But I could feel my self-becoming ever increasingly excited and actually thinking yes I can win this. It came to my category Outstanding Contribution to Student Affairs; the nominees were announced, and Photos displayed on huge screens. 


They called out the winner. Oh no, in the words of Shaggy, “it wasn’t me”. At first, I felt a little deflated, but this didn’t last too long as I was dragged up onto the dance floor to boogie the afternoon away. The whole experience has been uplifting, confidence building and has helped me to start to believe in myself.

I would recommend to all my fellow students don’t just do enough. Don’t just do what you need to do. Get involved, reach for the stars because the only limit is the limits of your dreams.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So you’re going to be a student Nurse

The End is Nigh

Part one of 8 months a Nurse : Into the Blues