Part Three of 8 Months a Nurse: Training My Dragon

 


 

 Training My Dragon

 Today I wanted to talk about utilising software to assist you in managing issues relating to communication, reading writing ;

The software I will be discussing are: Nuance Dragon and Claro Read these are only two options available that can assist  you with your reading and writing 

Nuance Dragon is speech recognition technology, that converts spoken word into written text. Dragon is for anyone who finds typing out long strings of words difficult or impossible. Personally, I use dragon in to assist me in writing reflections, Emails, Care Plans and incident reports. At first it can be strange configuring your brain so that  your able to put into word what you’re thinking  you also to remember to tell it to sleep before you speak to a colleague at the beginning as your training your dragon it can throw up some funny sentences at the beginning remember to read through your text because as Dragon gets use to you, your voice and accent  it will throughout some weird and wonderful unexpected  words and sentences .Perceiver with it though  as once you’ve got it, it is a tool you will use all the time  that is why this article is called training my dragon you can create commands and short cuts all assist it doing everyday paperwork  .I would recommend anyone who has dyslexia try utilising Dragon, I personally have found using it has had a positive effect on me ,my confidence and my paper work .

Claro Read  is a reading and writing software package  It can read back virtually  any article or paper that is accessible on your computer it also comes with a basic mind mapping facility which you may find helpful .Also there is a facility that colours the screen a particular colour which can help if your use coloured overlays or have tinted glasses .I use claro read to proof read my work as hearing read out can assist in putting in punctuation and also helps you work out if the work flows well

 

Please find some links for dyslexia support however please contact me if I can help in anyway

https://studyingwithdyslexiablog.co.uk/blog/the-new-look-studying-with-dyslexia-blog

British Dyslexia Association

www.bdadyslexia.org.uk

UK Dyslexia action

www.dyslexiaaction.org.uk

Wolverhampton University Student Support and Wellbeing webpage

https://www.wlv.ac.uk/current-students/student-support/student-support-and-wellbeing-ssw/students-with-disabilities--splds/

UCAS  DSA information

https://www.ucas.com/finance/additional-funding/disabled-students-allowances-dsas

Pattos website to help find an assessor

https://www.patoss-dyslexia.org/

RCN

Dyslexia, Dyspraxia and Dyscalculia: a toolkit for nursing staff  https://www.rcn.org.uk/professional-development/publications/pub-003835

If you require a assessment please look at :

http://www.dyslexiapositive.org.uk/


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So you’re going to be a student Nurse

Spoke placements, spoke in the wheel or spoke in the Works

The End is Nigh