The End is Nigh


Apologies for neglecting my blog I’ve been somewhat overwhelm with academic work and life.

Today’s blog  is titled “The End is Nigh” reflects on stressors of final year academically and hopes to offer some support to those who are feeling the same .  

 First semester

Went much as I anticipated with the usual anxieties and pressures that you expect from your third year and I was happy with my results. However, entering the second semester things started to deviate from plan. I was unable to access my hub placement due to issues at the hospital and was asked to start my sign off period at one of my past spoke placements.

The risk in the first semester is to sit back and think I’ve got loads of time even with both your pad and academic work. But, try to plan ahead, get as much done as possible; as the old saying goes “don’t put off till tomorrow what can be done today“. Being ahead of the game is empowering and therapeutic.

Second Semester

The Sunday of the beginning of my evidence my Dad reported feeling unwell. It turned out Dad had, had several cardiac infarctions (heart attacks). Consequently, had an atherectomy and three stents fitted after discharging himself and me rushing like the cavalry to persuade him that the best place for him was where he was (which just supercharged my already frayed emotions) after the usual convalescence he was discharged. I consequently took the first week off placement to support Dad at home. The implications of my Dads illness affected my ability to concentrate and to achieve any of the academic goals I had hoped to achieve. As I write this blog I am still yet to grasp at or make any headway into my dissertation which is a research proposal researching: “what factors support nurses mental health and well-being in practice”.

I have been feeling anxious regarding my abilities and third guessing everything, I hear my self-saying “it’s impossible, I can’t do it, I can’t get everything done in time”.

This has been the inspiration of this little blog. I took the time to read my previous blogs which reminded how far I’ve come during my nursing journey and what I have overcome. In the words of the late, great, Audrey Hepburn “Impossible broken down really means I’m Possible”. Today a friend phoned me I told him my fear he said these words “you haven’t come this far only to come this far“. Presently I have extenuating circumstances and am only now starting to feel revitalised and ready to get the job done 


If you’re too are feeling that you are stuck in between “Dissertation Hell and Qualification” I’d like to offer you some words of encouragement and remind you of some past strategies I passed on in previous blog.  

If you are feeling anxious see your Doctor, utilise your university’s student support, speak to your student union, take some you time, enjoy a relaxing bath with lavender oil, take some walks, they help, listen to relaxing music what ever works for you but just take a minute and breath.

Photo by Diego PH on Unsplash
Firstly believe, believe in yourself if you can dream it you can achieve it  

Secondly use all the support you can seek advice from teachers, tutors and the local learning centre. Apply for extensions where you can.

So, here are some strategies I’m trying to utilise

  • 1 plan your time 
  • 2 don’t procrastinate 
  • 3 don’t procrastinate!! 
  • 4 Breath and Take breaks and drink water 
  • Be organised, make a Do a to do list. This will help prevent you from “conveniently” putting off those unpleasant and overwhelming tasks. 

1.    Prioritise you’re to- do -list. This will enable you to quickly identify activities you need to be focusing on and the ones you can leave.

2.   Master the art of scheduling and project planning. Plan your work and time effectively this will help manage and mitigate your stress levels.



3.   If you have a big project or multiple projects on the go and you don't know where to start, these tools can help you to plan your time effectively and reduce your stress levels.



4.   Do you work better in the morning or the afternoon? Tackle the hardest tasks at your peak times . Identify when you're most effective and do the tasks that you find most difficult at these times.



5.   Set yourself time-bound goals . Setting specific deadlines to complete tasks will keep you on track to achieve your goals and will mean that you have no time for procrastination.



6.   Use task and time-management apps. There are numerous apps designed to help you to be more organised, such as  Trello and Toggl, for example.


To mind map or not to Mind map 

Can I ask you a personal question ? Do you mind map? If not, why not?

There are multiple apps and programs out there and it works it brilliantly. It helps plan and coordinate your information, once you’ve researched sufficiently for your chosen project.

You can transfer the information into a word document print off and your “hay presto” the  resources for the essay or revision for your viva is there in front of you.  


Please find below some links for dyslexia support  however please contact me if I can help in anyway 

Local Dyslexia support groups

See @BDAdyslexia on twitter 

UK Dyslexia action

Wolverhampton University Student Support and Wellbeing webpage 

UCAS DSA information 

Pattos website to help find an assessor

RCN Dyslexia, Dyspraxia and Dyscalculia: a toolkit for nursing staff 

If you require an assessment, please click here

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So you’re going to be a student Nurse

Spoke placements, spoke in the wheel or spoke in the Works

Part one of 8 months a Nurse : Into the Blues